January 03, 2009

More Snow

Qanaat Bakish

I haven’t worked for almost two weeks now.

It’s not because of me, but due to the numerous religions we have in this place. We just had the regular Christmas holiday, and now the Armenian, or orthodox, Christmas is coming up. Then we had the islamic New Year, the secular New Year, and now we’ve got the shia Ashoura coming up. We're celebrating around the clock. Pity we don’t have that many jews left here, otherwise we could throw in Hannuka as well. And in between, we do some work.

Compare that to the public holidays in Holland.






And so we hang out in the snow. The ski slopes were fantastic yesterday; crispy and empty. Ski slopes of Feraya.
What can I say; it’s the misery of having an older brother. The pleasure of pushing your younger sister face-down in the snow is one that is just too good to pass up on. Can you see him laughing in the back?

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Didn't we lose some holidays a few years back (All Saint's, and some of the "not so Important" Christian holidays?). I see you forgot August 1 (Army Day). I wonder how we get anywork done, especially when they connect these holidays!
H.

Anonymous said...

H, are we going for a Starbucks this week, or a HardRock? Bill's on me. Miss you guys!
S

Anonymous said...

Nice pics, and if I were A. I'd better watch out, in a few years the cat will strike back...

And this is what we did today: skating again on totally black ice:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1033&message=30536793

Y.

Anonymous said...

H and S,

Don't forget me, if you go to Starbucks!

B

Anonymous said...

H, S, & B:

When you go to Starbucks, drop by on the way.

Q.

Anonymous said...

Who is Q?
S

Anonymous said...

Let's go on Friday if B. doesn't have to drop her kids off at the airport. Funny enough.. I miss you guys too (just kidding). I see B. is ready to go, but who is Q.?
H.

Anonymous said...

Friday? I've got to go to work on Friday!
S

Anonymous said...

Ohhhhh , We have work on Friday? How about after work? I am not in the mood to get out of the house. As you mentioned in an earlier blog, it is cold for "Beiruties" (so I am not Lebanese, but I have lived here long enough to feel this cold).
H

Anonymous said...

If Q has collected het kids from the airport, could Z maybe give G a ride to H? Y.

Anonymous said...

Y,
That was funny!The whole alphabet is welcome as long as S is picking the bill.
H

Anonymous said...

D. cannot make it to be there (to far from E. in NL.

Anonymous said...

M., also in E in NL, has to work in W., so she will not be there on Friday either.

Greatings from D. to S.-H.-Y.-S.-B.-Q.-Z.- and G.

Anonymous said...

B's boys are leaving on Friday night, so MOFFOM is out for her. Starbucks today or tomorrow is a possibility. But like H, I am feeling the chill of these days.

S, enjoy going skiing today; one of my boys is going up today, as well. (The other two just got in, so they'll be asleep all day.)

See you Thursday if not before.

B