June 05, 2008

My Son Says (Notes On Becoming a Teenager)

I am not allowed to make pictures of my son anymore (and most definitely not post them on my blog (I’m so annoying, he says).
I am not allowed to talk about him with my friends (I gossip, he says).

I am not allowed to speak Arabic in his presence (the quality of my Arabic is an embarrassment to him, he says).

I am not allowed to sing along with the hits on the radio station when I’m in the car (I cannot sing, he says).

I may not pick him up in my own car from the school dance tonight, but have to come in his dad’s car (my car is a piece of junk, he says).

I may not review his homework anymore (because I am too dumb, he says).

I am not allowed to question the 9 over a 100 he got on his last math exam (everyone did badly on that one, he says).

I must wake him up in the morning, but I may not shake him, startle him or otherwise annoy him as I do so (You’re so retarded, he screams, as I tickle his toes at 6:00 AM).

I may not ask him who that girl is that calls him every evening on the phone (None of your business, he says).

If you read this with a smile, I bet you have one like that at home. Well, you’re not the only one. Some animals in the animal kingdom eat their young. I can so identify with that at the moment.

I think he has finally become a teenager.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haha. It reminds me of myself not too long ago. Poor mom.

Anonymous said...

i think you may have my son at your house...let me check his room...no, he's still here.

Leila Abu-Saba said...

What happened that you got an American teenager in the house, Sietske? You're Dutch, husband Lebanese, kid raised in Beirut. Did somebody infect the drinking water with American kid syndrome?

My sympathies.

Anonymous said...

Hi Sietske, I just read your comment of June 3rd because my spam filter blocked it, thank you for visiting my blog :)

Veeshir said...

It's so much more fun being an uncle of teenagers than a parent.

I get to torture them by doing much of the same stuff you say you're not allowed to do. When they get all angry, I just laugh.
Of course, since I've been fairly close to my nieces and nephews, they actually end up having to laugh at themselves when I do it.

Anonymous said...

hi there, im enjoying immensely your blog. im about to move to beirut which is why i was reading your story before me and my family embark into another journey. sounds like fun and exciting.
my son now 5 yrs old, doesnt wanna hang around us anymore, he prefers sleepovers to a freinds house. i guess they grow so fast.

Anonymous said...

omg this child is half lebanese? how the heck does he get away with calling you dumb or retarded or saying it's none of your business???
that is amazing to me ... I'm 22 and I still can't bring myself to say any of those! I told my 31 year old brother to shut up last week and i'm still hearing about it ...
at that age, I did my share of ignoring, slamming doors and avoiding ... you're in for a rough ride! good luck!

Anonymous said...

Hello. And Bye.

Tracy M. said...

Loved your post. My son was the poster child for loving children, until he turned 15. Now, he is a complete asshole. God is funny, no?