May 30, 2008

Other Dangers in this Place

Now let’s discuss some other dangers in this place.

We’ve got a mountain house. It is supposed to provide peace and tranquility. Of course when you need it the most you cannot get there, because 1) street fighting has made the roads out of the neighborhood too dangerous to use or 2) fighting has moved from your neighborhood to – yep, you guessed that right – the neighborhood of your mountain house.

But never mind, I’m all for peace and tranquility. There is no phone or internet, which is wonderful, the mobile only works when you stand at a specific place on the balcony and hold your phone up high (which make normal conversations rather odd), and the TV works intermittently; only then when there is electricity. Which is about almost never.
So peace and tranquility it is up there.
Except for one thing. The spiders.

We’ve got some big suckers in this place, even down here in Beirut. I once thought I saw a toad on the road, while walking to my parked car, when it was in fact – upon closer inspection – a light brown colored tarantula. My first thought was to crush it, but I was wearing flimsy sandals, and the thing was so big, it could have easily wrapped his hairy legs around both sides of my slippers, so I decided against that.

A friend of mine once had a dark one in the bathroom. She annihilated the thing, together with most of the bathroom. The next morning, while picking up a hair band from the sink for her hair, she picked up a loose leg of the tarantula instead (‘looked just like a black hair band’), causing her week-long heart palpitations.

The mountain house that we once had, on the ground floor, was sold, because I refused to go up any longer. It was an ancient house, with vaulted ceilings, and those tarantulas were hanging right above the bed. I can handle RPG’s, Israeli bombings and guerilla warfare in my street, but I will not handle tarantulas above my bed.

The new mountain house is on the third floor, and, as the real estate dealer promised; no tarantulas.
And indeed. No tarantulas.

But last weekend, after a five month absence, I found some other wild life. In the bedroom. Above the front door. In the hallway. Not tarantulas. They were of a more athletic type. Skinny and fast. Agile, almost.

After some googling I think I have narrowed them down to the ‘Mediterranean Recluse Spider’. These are even nastier suckers, because it seems they actually enjoy living with humans, and will crawl into beds, and between folded clothes in your closets. Check out these bite marks I googled! This is no laughing matter.

Some tips I picked up do not really make you feel any better.

Read this:
Bites often occur when spiders are trapped in clothing or bedding. Therefore, shake out clothing and shoes before getting dressed. Inspect bedding and towels before use. Remove bed skirts and storage boxes from underneath beds. Move the bed away from the wall. (Source)

Hubbie wants to spend the summer in the mountain house. I don’t think so. I don’t really need this. Is a person ever going to get a break in this place? I’m telling you; I’m ‘pifpaffing’ this house from top to bottom, and then some more.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw one of those tarantulas in Beirut a few years ago, it's like something out of Arachnophobia. In arabic we don't just call them spiders(3annkabout) we call the Kirtaileh, which sounds much more appropriately sinister.

Leila Abu-Saba said...

I think you just don't like spiders. However, they eat mosquitos, ants, and other bugs...

and the PifPaf may do worse things to you or your children in the long run. Unless you have seen people with those sores, you can't be sure that's the same spider. Get a lizard, seriously. A gecco for your bedroom - he will avoid you but eat the spiders.

Also re the two houses - we visited some Ghandours near Nabatiyeh in late December 1978. They lived in Beirut but had a family home on a mountain near the Israeli border. THey laughed and told us that when it's bad in Beirut, it's quiet in Nabatiyeh, and when it's bad in Nabatiyeh, it was quiet in Beirut. I don't know if that's true of the deep South anymore but it seems true about your mountain abode. Of course as you point out, the problem is moving between them... Good luck and I'll bet it will be quiet this year, insha'allah.

Anonymous said...

Leila, it has been 20 years I haven't heard the brand name PifPaf. We used it especially in 1976, along with the awfull Katol as there was no power for the VAP :)

adiamondinsunlight said...

Ugh, Sietske. I share your pain, and I've definitely had some of the big furry ones. Those legs can twitch for a long time, even when severed from their owner in a fit of anti-spider panic on my part.

I've been told that the spider you're talking about is actually a wolf spider. Apparently they are hideous, and fast, but not dangerous.

Meanwhile I'll be shaking out bedding, clothing, and leafy vegetables religiously from now on. Those bites are awful!

Anonymous said...

Well...

http://www.huidziekten.nl/woundcare/ddulcera/fotos/400AVFistel.jpg

http://www.huidziekten.nl/woundcare/ddulcera/fotos/400Veneus1.jpg

http://www.huidziekten.nl/woundcare/ddulcera/fotos/400Arterieel.jpg

http://www.huidziekten.nl/woundcare/ddulcera/fotos/400Arterieel2.jpg

http://www.huidziekten.nl/woundcare/ddulcera/fotos/400Decubitus1.jpg

I'd go for the piffpaff!!!

Anonymous said...

And what about piffpaffing Hezbollah?

Unknown said...

Sterkte Siets, in deze moeilijke momenten die je als moeder en vrouw door moet maken!

Didi said...

I saw a really huge tarantula next to the SSNP building in Hamra, I almost jumped my bones. Those pix of bites look a little doctored though, don't you think? Ewww. BTW I added you blog to my list of blogs today :)

Anonymous said...

The one on the right is a brown recluse spider

look it up