December 13, 2007

Mapping Beirut

We don’t use street names in Lebanon. Instead, we move around based on landmarks. People live near the SNA building, around the corner from the Patchi store. Or they live near the Chevrolet building, the Cola bridge, the AUB Medical Gate, above the pet store in the building facing the alleyway next to the Philips building or near the Unesco (building). That’s how we find places; through landmarks

And since we don’t use street names, we don’t need maps either. But some courageous souls have taken it on themselves to map Beirut. I got this video sent to me (bedankt Dimphy!), and though it very funny. If you know Beirut, this is very recognizable.


If you want to buy the book, here are some more details.

Landmarks find home among street names in Beirut guide
BEIRUT: Ask for directions in Beirut and you're likely to get something like this: "Turn right at that bank and then turn left at the pharmacy and then across from it is a big white building with a shop under it that sells sweets."
"I grew tired of always seeing the Lebanese commuters stopping in the middle of the street to ask for directions, causing traffic chaos everywhere, and not always getting reliable answers," said Bahi Ghubril, the man behind the newly released "Greater Beirut Atlas."The A5-sized "Atlas" covers 100 kilometer square of Beirut and it suburbs, incorporating 34 municipalities and including 4,000 entries of streets and landmarks.
It retails for L.L.15,000."It is not just for tourists, but also for Beirutis themselves, especially the young drivers, who will find it easier to find places with the "Atlas" and save some time," said Ghubril.Inspired by London's A-Z and Rome's Tutto Citta, Ghubril began his research two years ago compiling street names from local municipalities and residents. B
ut this wasn't always easy as "some streets just had no names.""We decided to resort to landmarks such as public buildings, places of worship, shopping centers, or private businesses that have existed for so long they have now become landmarks," said Ghubril. GIS Transport Ltd., topographical experts based in Bourj Hammoud, then created the illustrated maps from satellite images.Around 10,000 copies will be available in bookstores, kiosks, and newsstands throughout Lebanon starting Wednesday.
"The next step for us will be to contact the travel agents, car rental, and Taxi services," added Ghubril.Soumar Dakdouk, 22, said she would get a copy of the "Atlas," as she likes to "discover places as she walks.""It is useful as there are a lot of roads in Beirut that I would like to know, and there are many new roads. So many times I end up accidentally taking some huge detour before reaching my final destination," said Dakdouk."It has been a while since we had a good or representative map of Beirut," she added. However, she did have one suggestion for the "Atlas": "I wish it would indicate which streets have a lot of traffic so we could avoid them," she laughs.As for 50-year-old Saleem Sukari, he felt there might be "some language problems" with the "Atlas.""I was looking for the Masarif Street in Downtown Beirut in the "Atlas" index and couldn't find it, and then thought of translating it to English, "Banks Street" and then I found it in the "Atlas."
Not everyone will know the English translations of the streets," said Sukari.Sukari nonetheless liked the fact there is an updated comprehensive map of Beirut available, and said he would opt for buying one once it becomes available in the book stores."I like to be independent and just look up places, but most of my friends say they would rather just ask around and not bother looking through an 'Atlas,'" said Sukari. (Source of article)

7 comments:

Riemer Brouwer said...

And the latest landmarks are military checkpoints. The other day, we were visiting friends in Qoraytem and they told us "to go past the first checkpoint and just before you reach the second checkpoint, you go right..."

Quite funny, if it wasn't sad also.

Super Dude said...

You think car based GPS can handle Beirut?

Anonymous said...

GPS in the car in Lebanon. Ah, I'm waiting for that one.

Super Dude said...

In 100m ask old lady on the sidewalk.

Anonymous said...

I wonder what is correct:Siriane Street or Siryaques on Mar Elias by
Moussaitbe??? Do you know?

Anonymous said...

I am planning on visiting Beirut in Aug. wondering is it permitted to have GPS with in the country.
Will some one check that for me and spare me airport hassel..t y

Anonymous said...

Halo,I'm Helena Julio from Ecuador,I want to talk good about Le_Meridian Funding Service on this topic.Le_Meridian Funding Service gives me financial support when all bank in my city turned down my request to grant me a loan of 500,000.00 USD, I tried all i could to get a loan from my banks here in Ecuador but they all turned me down because my credit was low but with god grace I came to know about Le_Meridian so I decided to give a try to apply for the loan. with God willing they grant me  loan of 500,000.00 USD the loan request that my banks here in Ecuador has turned me down for, it was really awesome doing business with them and my business is going well now. Here is Le_Meridian Funding Investment Email/WhatsApp Contact if you wish to apply loan from them.Email:lfdsloans@lemeridianfds.com / lfdsloans@outlook.comWhatsApp Contact:+1-989-394-3740.