November 10, 2007

Halloween Beirut Style

I know Halloween is long gone, but look what I saw today. Talking about cultural fusion! The Lebanese understand the concept of Halloween; scary costumes, and so they developed their own line of horrific creatures. No Freddy Kruger or Scream for us. Just get a line up of politicians, and that should frighten the wits out of you.
Scary Halloween Masks, Beirut style: Osama Bin Laden (Not-Lebanese, I might add) - Rafic Hariri - ? (fill me in) - Saddam Hussein (or is it is Minister of Information?) – George Bush (?) – Samir Geagea – Walid Joumblatt – Saad Hariri – Nabih Berri.

In case you’re fed up by all this presidential stuff, join the club. Nicolien saw this note: “Jaajaa is out,
Aoun is back,
Sanioura has become greedy,
Lahoud is staying,
I am leaving,
and the car is for sale.”

3 comments:

DC said...

1. The head kind of looks like Josh Ashcroft but I dunno why any Lebanese would want to be a former US attorney general?

2. Is it jaajaa is out or jaajaa emerged/appeared? Either way it's a pretty awesome poem.

Anonymous said...

actually, i got this picture from Walid's blog (theworldismyidea.blogspot.com), but i saw a very similar one a few days ago when i didn't have my camera with me, so i used it anyway...

Riemer Brouwer said...

@nicolien,

A similar pic did the rounds during the aftermath of Hariri's killing, it even made the front page of the Daily Star.