November 04, 2007

Garbage, Global Warming & 1000th Day

The Teller on 999
On several places in Beirut, large billboards are reminding us of the number of days that have passed since Hariri’s murder. Every day the teller adds a day. And as you can see, it’s been a while. We're on 994 now.

When I stand in front of the traffic light, facing this particular billboard, the same thoughts always come up.

For one thing, I realize that this is probably the ONLY traffic light in Beirut that is actually functioning, and functioning without a police officer standing on the intersection (some of the time, that is).
I’m also reminded of the number of my blogging days: it’s billboard minus 1.
And then I am reminded of the fact that it’s been 'caza' days since I was standing on the roof when this massive explosion took place, and that I first thought that it was this yellow helium balloon in downtown that had exploded. I remember where I was on 9-11 (in the Hezbollah car wash, no kidding), and I remember where I was on the day of Hariri’s murder.
I remember the mood on that day, and the days after. The mood was upbeat in those days. We were outraged, and insulted, but upbeat. That mood has been replaced by one of complacent apathy.

And everyone standing in front of this board must have been wondering about this one; what will happen on the 999th days of Hariri’s murder? Will the teller jump back to zero? We’re getting pretty close now – only 6 more days to do.

But today I noticed that they solved that problem. They just added a little box on the left that will mark 1 on November 10. I checked my files to make sure. And yes, they added that little box only recently. It wasn't there on day 986 (Okay, you've got to look real hard for this one, but it's there). So now you can stop wondering about that one.

On Garbage & Global Climate
The garbage collector in the picture, by the way, is another poignant reminder (besides the barbed wire, which is a pretty sad one, too) ; A reminder of the fact that we do not like to pick up after ourselves. Although the unemployment rate is massive in this place, we’ve got to import our garbage collectors from India, Bangladesh and the likes, ‘cause Lebanese won’t do it.

I was out picnicking somewhere in the mountains today, alongside a river, with a Dutch person, and she was absolutely appalled by the garbage left behind by former picnickers. It is as if people – after lunch – get up and go, leaving practically everything behind them. Bottles, plastic cutlery, plates, cups, cans, Kleenex, plastic bags, aluminum foil, you name it. Her comment was; “no wonder they’re in this shit. People that treat their own country like this, don’t deserve any better.” A bit harsh, admitted, but there’s some truth in it.

This guy must have been flicking the middle finger to the wrong person.

And while I drove home, I came upon this initiative to remind us what will happen if we do not do something about pollution, and the global warming that follows it; the sea level will rise all the way up to Hamra. ‘Draw the Line, December 09, 2007’ it reads. What happens on that day can be read here. You can sign their petition here.

Now on one hand, that’s definitely something we need to do something about.

On the other hand, it would mean that my house will become beach front property, and its value will increase 10-fold. And that, I might add, would mean I can retire right now. Which just proves that every cloud has a silver lining.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

that's exactly what i thought: i left one country below sealevel, to end up at the seafront of another one! my house will be right at the shore. perfect :)

Anonymous said...

On the other hand, it would mean that my house will become beach front property, and its value will increase 10-fold.,,,

And then the Tsunami will come and wash it away..This is lebanon after all..

PS your friend was right about the garbage

Riemer Brouwer said...

What's amazing is that today, they have put up new ribbons because the old ones got torn down. So again, there is a wave of plastic hitting Beirut to raise environmental awareness...:-)