April 22, 2007

Im Naher Osten Nichts Neues

Or 'All Quiet on the Middle Eastern Front'. And so we bummed around town all day. I noticed quite a few viewers from the US these days that read this blog. I assume these must be homesick Lebanese. Well, some city-scenes for you guys.
Scooters all over town today. Here we've got the the usual style (left) and the amazone style (right). You can't see it from here, and I had my heavy camera with me, which I cannot operate with one hand only, otherwise I would have been able to show you that both couples had a kid on board as well. The usual style had a girl in between the man and the woman, en the other one had a girl standing on the board in front of the father. Helmet? What's that?

I mean, we ride our scooters on the highway. ON the highway, not next to it.

Potatoes; 900 pounds a kilo. (60 dollar cents or 44 euro cents). These are Lebanese. The Egyptian ones are cheaper.


And lemons in Ouzai (on the way to the south); 500 pounds a kilo.




13 comments:

Anonymous said...

not just 'home'sick Lebanese... thanks for the pictures, zorgt ervoor dat ik weer 'n beetje harder aan de scriptie ga werken :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the pictures!! It's the first blog I come across reflecting the daily Lebanese life. You show us the things we're so used to that we can't see ourselves. But maybe after coming back from the US, I might :)
Keep it up!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures. thanks.

I've never been to Lebanon but my husband is Lebanese...we plan on visiting when its safe. Last year we had a friend who was visiting and they got stock in the middle of the war and it was not a pretty picture. They finally got home and vowed not to ever go back...We just have to wait. You're a very brave soul.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for a nice and refreshing blog.

Anonymous said...

This US reader's mother's side is all Dutch and husband's mother's side is all Lebanese. Thus my interest, you see.

I've been reading your blog for about a year now. I enjoy your perspective, your voice, and your photographs. I appreciate how you write in plain terms about Lebanese customs and politics, as well as Muslim customs. It's all unfamiliar to me. I like the glimpse you give-- something to compare to the news.

And I agree with afif, that you were the first blog I found that reflected daily life, and that you do so in a way that makes me reflect on my own.

Thanks for it!

Anonymous said...

You guys make me feel good. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I like your posts, one wonders)

Anonymous said...

Good article. Thank you.
http://valium.blog.com/2011/01/04/buy-valium-online

Anonymous said...

Good article. Thank you.
http://sonniksnet.blog.com/2011/01/08/order-mefenorex

Anonymous said...

Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts

Anonymous said...

Good article. Thank you
http://ordererimin.putblog.com/2011/01/10/4/

Zucchini said...

I loved your blog :) and your thoughts as well. keep on
I am a Lebanese too :)

Erectile Dysfunction said...

This is good site to spent time on.