March 24, 2006

A multi-cultural society indeed

I rarely notice it, the Arabic script and numbers, because this society is so fantastically bi-lingual, or even tri-lingual, that you navigate your way through without noticing it. I remember how terribly exotic I found the Arabic numbers, and when I returned to Holland after my very first stay, I had picked up a car license plate from somewhere, and hung it on my balcony, and stared at it in melancholy for many months afterwards.But as I was withdrawing money tonight (phone bill is due tomorrow, electricity bill is due tomorrow, and the maid needs $500 ‘cause her brother got run over in Manila on his scooter, and she’s got to foot the bill)from the ATM machine, I was suddenly stuck for a short moment, because I only saw the big Arabic numbers, and although I can decipher them, I have to think while doing. It surprised my, because most ATM's are purely Latin oriented. This one had the Arabic print in big letters. But there were Latin numbers on them too. Very cute.
So here a few of our bi-lingual signs. A very multi-cultural society indeed.

1 comment:

Michael van Eekeren said...

Hé Sietske, ik kreeg net je commentaar binnen op mijn blog. Wat grappig. Dus je zit in Beiroet. Wat doe je daar? Wat manufacture je daar? Doe je nog iets met schrijven en journalistiek, buiten de blog? Ik herinner me een ontzettend grappig verhaal van jou over een verstandelijk gehandicapte die in een rolstoel in een speciaal busje zat en toen dat busje te hard door de bocht ging toen schoot de stoel uit de beugels en toen donderde het geheel om en toen zag jij de spaken van het wiel ronddraaien en in het zonlicht schitteren. Volgens mij zag je ook nog het beteuterde gezichtje van die gehandicapte boven het randje van het raam uitkomen, of ik heb dat er zelf aan toegevoegd? Dat verhaal is me altijd bij gebleven.
Wij kennen een Nederlands archeologen-stel in Beiroet, Hans en Barbara met hun zoonthe Thijs. Ken je die toevallig? Ze werken voor Solidere. Dan is het ook nog eens een small global world.
Groeten Michael de musicoloog die schrijver wil worden.