March 01, 2006

Bag Lady

As I’ve had a son for nine years before I had a daughter, I assumed that all children were alike.

Conversation with boy
“Do you want to drink something?”
“Yes.”
“What would you like to drink?”
“Anything.”

Conversation with girl
Now check out the same conversation with my daughter.
“Do you want to drink something?”
“What do you have?”
“Juice en water”
“What kind of juice?”
“Orange juice.”
“Don’t you have pine apple juice?”
“No, orange juice.”
“How about apple juice, you have apple juice?”

And this process is not limited to the field of beverages; it goes all across the board. So yesterday morning she decides that she is going to choose what to wear. I was quite taken aback by this; I have never ever experienced something like this before. My son still wears what I take out for him.
But I am all for self-expression, so I stood back and watched. She came out looking like a bag lady (picture on left). Dress too short, tights too tight, hole in the tights, funky looking hair band with even funkier looking sunglasses.
Today she decided on a more ‘mellow’ combination. Very decent, I must say. Maybe a little too decent. I think I liked yesterday’s combination better.

No comments: