February 28, 2006

“C’est l’anniversaire de qui?”

This one can enter the annals of famously stupid quotes: “C’est l’anniversaire de qui?”

We had dinner over at my mother in-law’s on Sunday. These dinners are always sumptuous affairs. She dines unlike anyone else I’ve ever known. This is the 5-star restaurant stuff; three knives on the right sides, three forks on the left. (Or is it the other way?) Plates for the salad, plates for the bread, two plates for the food, crystal glasses, silver ware and the whole shebang. Food is served on silver plates, in special dishes to keep it warm, and served by a maid and the housekeeper. She also cooks quite well; dinners come complete, with an entrée, main dish or dishes, and several deserts. And she does not only eat like this when we are there, she always dines like that. So – as I said – these dinners are always very nice.

Today we had chocolate cake for desert; I saw it as we entered the dining room, it was displayed on the side table. It had a note written on it saying “We adore U”. My mother in-law is quite a socialite. She dines out a lot and throws lavish dinner parties herself all the time. So I assumed this was a cake presented to her, and since there are always too many cakes when you invite people over for dinner (The thing to do is bring desert when you are invited for dinner), she had kept it for us.
Anyway, we have dinner – my sister in-law + hubbie and son were also present – chit chat, the usual stuff, and then it is time for desert.

My mother in-law gets up to dim the lights. “Why do you dim the lights,” I ask. “So we can see the candles on the cake better.” Candles on the cake, I am thinking to myself? Why would anyone put candles on a cake? You only put candles on the cake when it is a birthday. I look at my sister in-law, frown, and ask her surprised as if I missed something: “C’est l’anniversaire de qui?
She looks at me, eyes wide open, and thumbs in the direction of her right side, meaning ‘The one on your right.” Who’s sitting on my right? My hubbie. And then it suddenly dawns on me. HOLY SHIT! It’s his birthday! My sister sees the surprise in my eyes, and thumbs over her shoulder, meaning 'back, back'. I look at my watch. It’s the 26th. SHIT SHIT SHIT AGAIN! His birthday was yesterday!

So this event may enter the stupid book. Forgot my own hubbie’s birthday. Maybe I should blame him for not having reminded me. Yes, I think I will do that. Makes me feel already a whole lot better.

No comments: