September 16, 2017

Perspective

We start with a run through Rouche rock. The light at 5 is still stark

The heat just won’t abate. The AC’s are still running full force IN MY HOUSE, but they can barely blow a dent into the humidity, even at night. We don’t have 24/7 electricity, some 20 AFTER the civil war, I tell you, in Syria they have more electricity than we do, go figure. The government does not provide water around the clock either. I’ve got to buy extra water and electricity, so I’ve got a double amenity bill. We’ve got a one million plus Syrian refugees in the country that can barely deal with its own people, the roads are perpetually clogged, it’s always noisy and crowded and getting from one part of town to another is such a feat, most people don’t even attempt it anymore. Well, at least I don’t.


Fishing boats in the heart of town
And then there is the heat!
Did I mention the heat already?  
I secretly envy friends in Holland that report 16 degrees Celcius.

It's all high-rise along the coast until . . . 

. . .  you get to the suburbs. These once were beaches, back n the 70's. Now they house refugees from an era well before the Syrians. Kurds and Palestinians that fled from Tell el Zaatar initially settled here. Now it is a mix of all.  

These inhabitants, near Beirut Airport, tired of the same old stuff, added some color to their houses.

And then. . .
after a long day at work, I get a message if I feel like going out at sea. 
Do I feel like going on a boat, out at sea?

Are you kidding?
I already hailed a service to get me to the port.


Some jet skiers come check us out

And at sea it is quiet and empty and cool. There is a breeze, and nothing pollutes my horizon, except for small fishing boats.
And I sail along the coast, cast in a soft purple haze, drive under Rouche rock, skinny dip and watch the sun set in the sea. When I sail back into port, dusk has set in, and the lights of the boulevards and buildings make this place all romantic and glamorous again.

skinny dipping (got to hold on to the buoy so the boat does not float away without us)

Purple haze

Dusk sets in

Sun set

And then . . . .
when you see Beirut in a different light, it all changes. 
I kind of like this place again.
It's all about perspective.

Back into the port

and home we go. 

An interesting read on Lebanon and perspective can be found here. The author is half Dutch, quite proud of that (and half Lebanese too) 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sadly, agree.

Watched the changes over the past five years and don't recognize some neighborhoods now. That something special is gone and isn't coming back anytime soon. If at all.

And what's with the weather this year? I thought I was the cranky one, also still blasting the A/C. Seems we're having a late summer after a rather cool spring.

travelwaffar said...

great information, thanks a lot
check-out our latest LEBANON TRAVEL PACKAGES.