March 13, 2011

On Nuclear Energy and Nothing

This is what Beirut & Mediterranean looked like on Friday afternoon at dusk.

Someone ( a commenter yesterday, actually) suggested that - due to the lack of intellectual content of my post(s) - maybe I should start a forum on nuclear energy.

wellicht is het tijd voor een discussie over kernenergie op dit forum, in plaats van gekeuvel, Siets?

I suspect Theo to be the culprit here. Or one of my brothers. Wouldn’t pass that by them. But gosh, if you expect any intellectual content here at all, I’m afraid you find yourself at the shallow end of the pool. You may have to adjust your expectations there a tad-bit. This is the blog of a journalist/housewife-with-a-hobby, although these days it’s more the other way around, and any intellectual material probably got here purely by mistake. Or was stolen from another blogger. And my only claim to fame is that I live I Beirut, one of the most glamorous and mind-boggling places on Earth. 
And this is what it looked like Saturday morning at 11 (same place but taken from the other side)

As you may have noticed, these days I totally refrain from commenting on politics. That’s a bit of an oxymoron though, because that would suggest that politics in this country is the domain of intellectuals, and I daresay that 65% of the MP’s in Lebanon did not get past a BA. I’d love to see the statistics on that. How many MP’s actually hold a Lebanese BAC? How many have a BA? How many have an MA? Any PhD material in the parliament? How many MP’s made it on their own, and how many came from money? How many MP actually held a JOB before they entered politics? Like in a REAL job.
A. diving

Hmmm, I’m swaying off topic. That's AAAD. We were discussing intellectualism. No, not here. I do not like to analyze things. I’m a lurker. I like to hang out, tag along, lounge and do nothing. Sniff the local atmosphere; listen in on other people’s conversations.

Alltogether in one picture,  H. W. and A; that doesn't happen very often.

So what did I do yesterday? (If you expect anything interesting, surf on) I hung around on a boat and floated in the Mediterranean Sea. The weather had shifted from Ice Age to Tropics in a matter of hours, and hubbie and son went diving. I had nothing else planned, so H. and I went along for the ride. A family day on the water. Now’s how’s that for intellectual content?
H and I
And now you may lurk. Or leave a comment. But don’t expect anything intellectual here. I work for a living. Actally, I open the floor for an intellectual forum in the comment section. Go ahead!

8 comments:

Joseph said...

funny thing is, a couple of years back someone (somewhere) ran a story on how all these MPs had fake degrees.

or degrees from universities that did not exist.

i am pretty sure Nasser Kandil was caught out.

Gray Fox said...

Noticed you referred to yourself as a "journalist/housewife-with-a-hobby". Are you no longer teaching?

Anonymous said...

I wonder what would happen if a Tsunami hits that beautiful Beirut coast...

Sietske said...

No no, still slugging way, some 50 hours a week. If failed miserably as a housewife many years ago, so do not really have another option. :) And as far as a tsunami in the Mediterranean goes, I was told once by a water engineer that due to the small body of water (The Med is infinitaly smaller than an ocean), a really disastrous tsunami is not possible. Well, let's not wait and see.
And Kandil not a laywer? Who would have thought?

AL said...

I believe if you check your history, that Beirut has been wiped out 5 times by a Tsunami.

Sietske said...

Yes, this tsunami thing I know: http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2007/07/070726-lebanon-quake.html
"When the fault ruptured in A.D. 551, part of the the seafloor collapsed by around 5 to 10 feet (1.5 to 3 meters). This drop triggered a surging tsunami, which gained height rapidly as it pushed toward land"

Anonymous said...

oxymoron? What is that?

xl pharmacy said...

I was told once by a water engineer that due to the small body of water (The Med is infinitaly smaller than an ocean), a really disastrous tsunami is not possible