January 04, 2013

Not So Glamorous Now


My life is not always this glamorous (as in 'skiing on a weekday'). There’s work to be done as well. I am enjoying my last day of freedom. Monday I am back at work, 7:30 sharp. I am lucky in the sense that I can walk to my work place. Beirut is a breath of fresh air early mornings. 
I remember from my younger years nights on the town that turned into very early mornings, and you’d come back home at 5 o’clock in the morning. The town would be all quiet; only the birds and the bakers would be up at that time. Best time of the day. I have always wanted to go on a photo tour that early. I still have to get around doing that. One day.
As it is, most of my time on the town these days is not early mornings but late afternoons. In the car. And this is what it looks like most of the time. Traffic jams.


Not so glamorous now, does it? Traffic is Beirut is beyond horrendous. I am not talking about the driving style, but refer to the amount of cars present. No car pooling in this place, and most Lebanese will refuse to even consider public transportation. And so we sit in traffic, hours on end.

No comments: