February 08, 2011

Balloon Man

A picture tells a thousand words, they say. I wonder what you make of this scene then.

A family on the beach. In Lebanon. On a Sunday afternoon. Two women, one man, and five kids; a morose teenager with an Iphone/BBM/Ipad or whatever it is they have glued to their hand these days, a pre-teen with a mood, a toddler, a rambunctious boy, a little girl with a terrible disposition, and a dog (that pissed on my SIL’s coat), all lounging in the sun on an empty pebble beach.

5 kids!
The Balloon Man
That’s what the balloon man thought as well. He had spotted us from miles away, and as there was no one else on the beach, we were his only potential customers. And five kids are a lot of potential customers.

All yours?” he asked my brother in-law (BIL), pointed at the children.
Sure,” BIL answered.
And the women?”
Mine too.”
Both?”
Yes.”
That old one too?” the balloon man nodded in my direction.
Yes. You don’t believe me?”
No, not the old one, that one’s not yours.”

Be careful, balloon man, you’re playing with your life.

I find it funny how total strangers will talk about you as if you are not there. Or how they will ask you all kinds of very personal questions that really are none of their business.

Danielle asked: “do you kids ever complain about too many outings, and just want to stay home? " Haha, I think my teenage son and you should have a conversation. We keep telling him that later in life on he will remember, and even appreciate, these outings. He isn’t buying it, and only forces form higher up will help him decide to come along. What was this Sunday’s ‘force’? “You either stay home and study, or you can go with your mom on a picnic”, his father had said. The boy has his priorities; Picnic it was.

3 comments:

Charlotte Seguin said...

Beautiful posts and pictures :) You have been mentionned in our Web Zapping ! http://iloubnan.info/en/actualite/id/55992/titre/Web-Zapping-by-iloubnan.info
If you want to suggest us others posts, don't hesitate to contact us at redaction@iloubnan.info or tweet your post using #WebZap @iloubnan

Have a nice day,

Charlotte SEGUIN
iloubnan.info community manager
charlotte.seguin@nelinteractif.com
01 203 218

Sami O said...

"I find it funny how total strangers will talk about you as if you are not there"
This is definately annoying, and the thing is, it's not only strangers who do that. I guess it's mainly because they assume that you don't understand, but also sometimes because they'd rather talk to the "man of the family" (out of respect of other reasons!)

Danielle said...

hhaha..I had a feeling that there was at least one rebel in the group! I suppose I felt that way because I have a brother who is 12 and a sister who is 9..and every time my Mom wants to take them somewhere it is always such a battle! haha..but seems like you've worked around the way to make him take part in these activities! He will be thankful later on, I know it! :D