January 22, 2011

On Doom and Disaster and Self-Fulfilling Prophecies

Doom and disaster is about to descend upon us. At least, this is what has been predicted by the media since last Monday. Depressed husbands are flipping between the channels on TV, following every press conference, and telling their wives that ‘the situation is very bad.’ Of course, we have been hearing this ‘things are really really bad now’ argument for quite some years now. “No, this time it is different, it is really very bad, I am telling you.”
Snow Boarders in Feraya (guess what I did today)
The rumor mill is in full swing. Gatherings of men in black have been reported, coup exercises, gun battles and what not. Parents have been pulling children out of school, and family members have been calling each other to come home right away because ‘something is going on somewhere.’

I find it all a self-fulfilling prophecy. And I must say, the future started looking significantly brighter the moment I decided not to watch the news anymore, or to listen to any rumors I received by SMS, or phone.
Snow-capped mountains in Lebanon

On the other hand, I am glad quite a few of you DO heed these endless predications of trouble and tribulations. Because the traffic in Beirut has significantly cleared up. Trips that usually take me 45 minutes by car are now covered in a mere 10 minutes. Lovely, all these people with cars that are staying indoors out of fear of something. Let’s keep that part up.

I had to go out last night to a housewarming party. “I don’t think you should go outside,” said hubbie, “it is much too dangerous to go outside tonight.”
Ski lift scenery 

If you, Lebanese men, have ever played with the notion of marrying a Dutch woman, let me tell you this; you do not ever tell a Dutch woman that she is not supposed to do something. It is ‘de goden verzoeken’ (tempting the gods). I don’t care if the city is on fire; I have to go to a house warming party.

Well, I’m not going to bail you out if you get into trouble.” That’s kind of cute, because you know he will anyway.

Needless to say, the streets were as usual on a Friday night. There were road blocks, but there are always road blocks on a weekend night. There were people gathering on street corners, but people always do. The restaurants were, well, maybe not full, but definitely not empty.
Dutch with an attitude.
(You are going to tell US we can’t go out anymore because of the situation? I don’t think so. )
What is the message? Don’t listen it all. Why get miserable over something that hasn't happened yet? When the shit really hits the fan, then you may stay indoors. In the meantime, go out on the town and enjoy the weather!

4 comments:

didie said...

nicely put!

Maya said...

Soooo true! Thanks for the attitude. More people should learn from you. My parents have been panicking every time I stay out late. Why? "The situation". I have no clue what situation they're talking about (I don't watch news)... But I really hope things won't get *really* bad.

Fadi said...

Don't you love it when you get those text messages that say stuff like "the end is near and we're all going to die. Send 'XYZ' to that number to get the news by SMS".. Way to keep a whole country on its toes..

I have to agree with your post. In Lebanon things are rarely as bad as rumored.. Besides, if everybody just went about life as if nothing was going on maybe a few of these politicians' heads would explode for not getting the attention they think they deserve (no, this is not a bombing reference) :P

Cheers !

Charlotte said...

Ha, thanks for the positive attitude :) It was easier to convince my family back in the Netherlands that we're fine, really ("the government has fallen, happens all the time in Den Haag, no need to worry") than some of the Lebanese people here.