January 01, 2011

Happy 2011 from Beirut

Downtown Beirut was bustling last night. Throngs of people were moving around. The funny thing was that there were few Lebanese amongst them. It was as if the entire Saudi male population between 25 and 40 had descended upon downtown, hoping for an exciting New Year’s celebration. We had a discussion about that. We all agreed upon the fact that New Year in Beirut just has to be more exciting than New Year in Riyadh or Mekka, for that matter. 

But if you want exciting, there’s much more going on in Paris or London around New Year, so why choose Beirut? We figured it must be because Beirut is easy. We speak their language, the music taste is the same (Arabic), and the women will not ignore them because they’re darker. Several of my colleagues have lived in Saudi Arabia (or KSA, as they will call it), and they all say it is very nice, as long as you’re on the compound. I don’t know. I’m glad I live in Beirut.

And you probably want to know whether the New Year’s celebration in Downtown Beirut was exciting? I wouldn’t know. We went home just before 12, drank our champagne, looked at the fireworks and went to bed. I guess you could do that in Riyadh as well. Although I don’t know about the champagne.
A wonderful, wealthy, healthy and happy 2011 to all of you.

All images taken downtown Beirut. This poor little guy couldn't wait until 12 o'clock. He fell asleep right at the table.

1 comment:

Danielle said...

For sure most Lebanese were either at house parties, very fancy restaurants, or night clubs!! Even so, still looked like you were able to see some action..and it was probably a good thing you went home before 12. I'm sure the traffic would have been nightmarish. As for myself, I was dancing the night away at a house party in Hazmieh! :D Happy New Year!