January 06, 2011

And We Have Snow!!


Ferarya (see the webcam for updated weather conditions)

Not a surprise, really, since it’s been raining and it is slightly cooler in Beirut this week. I went up to the mountains this morning with a small tribe this time. My kids and I were off because of the Armenian Christmas, but from other friends I heard it was a regular working day. My son is off tomorrow as well. My daughter is not. My daughter was off last Monday. My son was not. Why? I have no clue; it is hard to find a pattern in the days off and days in school.

A man of druze origins on the slope was complaining that his sect really got the short end of the stick; the druze have virtually no holidays. We definitely could use more days off. It currently feels like I’ve got more holidays than working days, and that’s always a good thing.

The slopes were rather empty. It was mainly Saudis trying their hand at skiing. What can I say? I admire their persistence at skiing and their incessant joy with snow. Their sense of style, when it comes to ski clothes, also adds ecstasy to the slopes. I’d have given up f I were a Saudi. But no, not they. The entire family goes on the slope, everyone gets hauled in a ski suits, and off they go. If they can’t ski, they will be busy sledding all day. Very cute.

And why do teenagers insist on wearing short sleeves all day, even if it is -10? This is how mine went skiing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's an Orthodox Christmas (old style Julian calendar) on 6-7 of January. Not only Armenians, but also Russians, Serbians, Georgians, Greek and other eastern europe countries celebrating it these days. It is a good thing that in Lebanon they celebrate all holidays of the world)))

Danielle said...

Religous holidays are always a matter of contention in Lebanon..someone is always unhappy.. Would have loved to see your photos of the Saudi's but I imagine those would be hard to come by!