October 01, 2009

How Can You Not

Liliane of Lebanon Aggregator wrote that if you read my Dutch perspective of Lebanon “you will fall in love with Lebanon all over again.”
But how can you not love a place . . .
where your colleagues come to work in footwear like this,
where you can pick the rosemary for the pasta sauce on the side of the road instead of buying it at $1 a twig in the supermarket, like you do in Holland,
where you can see the sun come up in the city,
where you can cast long shadows over the road in the morning,
and where your daughter plucks you a ‘flower ring’ from a tree every morning while walking her to school.

All this is of course only applicable when you are not dealing with government institutions.
And traffic.
And lining up.
And customer service.
And social services.
And male chauvinism.
And discrimination.
And online banking.
And pollution.
And any type of bureaucracy.
And building inhabitants who do not pay their bills on time.
Or building inhabitants who never pay their bills.
Yet insist on sharing the same services.
And plumbers.
And janitors.
And service drivers.
And . . . . (you go one).
But that is for another day. Today, only happy thoughts.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's a country of extremes isn't it? Things are either spectacular or awful, nothing in between. Your perspectives are always interesting though!

Jas

Marillionlb said...

I love the 1st item on your "when you are not dealing with".

Anonymous said...

what you mention in the negatives exists everywhere, like in Paris where I lived for a long time.Each country has its negatives and there is no greener pastures over the hill.Otherwise I am a major fan and live not far in Manara, so I can get your perspective first hand.
also, had several dutch girlfriends and love the Netherlands, at least what I know of it.

Anonymous said...

what you mention in the negatives exists everywhere, like in Paris where I lived for a long time.Each country has its negatives and there is no greener pastures over the hill.Otherwise I am a major fan and live not far in Manara, so I can get your perspective first hand.
also, had several dutch girlfriends and love the Netherlands, at least what I know of it.

Liliane said...

I would like to think that you took the first photo especially for this post ;) Interesting post as usual!

Liliane from LebanonAggregator.com, Independence05.com and lilo: not so personal, all me

Beirut Drive-by Shooting said...

It's easy to have a love-hate relationship with Lebanon. Lebanon always has that way. It's the most messed up place that you love. :)

Andrea said...

I love Lebanon!
I spend a month last year there, on holiday.
Great place.

Dalila said...

What are those crazy pink flowers? They are so cheerful!