May 13, 2008

And the Good News is . . . . .

Some uplifting news. A little bit. Maybe.

I spent the afternoon on the beach to conduct several interviews for a story on the divide between the shia and sunni of Beirut. Let me rephrase that, since this might give you the impression that I am not hard-working career woman.

How about ‘amidst rising tensions, as more clashes erupted in war-torn Beirut between sunni and shia, I conducted a number of interviews at an undisclosed location in order to ensure the safety of the participants.'

Muuuuuuuch better. Just joking. I did work. Really.

Two sunni (left) and two shia (right) on the beach in Beirut.
Moral of this picture; Don't believe everything you read in the paper.

Well, all is not lost. Because both sides agree on one things; the civil war has not yet started.
And it will not start, because they do not want to fight each other.
However, if the other side does not back down soon, then they are left with no other other choice but to defend themselves.’
Yes. I think that is how they explained the current situation to me. Both sides. I think I got that part right.

Well, at least we agree on something. It is a beginning, no?

3 comments:

adiamondinsunlight said...

:) I like both versions, Sietske - both the beach and the tensions are real aspects of life here.

Good for you for searching out stories that go beyond the wire reports. I hope there are more sunny beach days ahead for everyone this summer.

Anonymous said...

Zolang je maar niet in je bikini op t dakterras gaat zitten - dan begint 't schieten zo weer opnieuw...

;-) He ik probeer het land in te komen, hoop er snel te zijn en zal je bellen van te voren!

xx,
Annemieke

Anonymous said...

Je, ik heb hier nog een sleutel voor je. Probeer t via Damascus?
S.