April 29, 2008

Quintessential Lebanese

What is quintessential Lebanese, without getting into clichés? Some friends and I were talking about that the other day. What – when you see it – do you directly identify with Lebanon? And don’t use things like cedar trees, or the flag. It has to be something non-symbolic, daily. Everyone had his/her own thing. I couldn’t think of anything. But when I went home, I encountered several things that all made me think; this is Lebanon for me. The little basket hanging down for Abu whatever from the local mini-market to put in the half a pound of sugar. The green color of the iron entrance door to the building. The type of tiles. If I would see these anywhere else, it would all remind me of Lebanon. Or three guys on a scooter, going to the beach. What is it for you?
(This is post #600)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is good to know that the little basket with the rope is still used ;)
For me, a little grocery that have almost everything represents perfectly Lebanon.

Leila Abu-Saba said...

I used to see the basket a lot in Cairo, and since my village relatives didn't live in apartment houses and merely walked up the street to the shop (or went down to Saida to the souk, or hailed the little mini-bus with the megaphone driving around with tomatoes or yogurt) I never saw this in Mieh-Mieh. So the basket makes me think of Egypt, sorry.

How about a lady baking marquq bread on a saj set up next to an auto repair shop? Or a giant beer billboard above a mosque? Or the ka'ak guy with a bunch of breads hanging from a stick?

Le Moose said...

Lebanon for me is the word "Welcome" always heard with the same accent and a probable answer to all greetings, and at times, queries.
"Welkum"

Anonymous said...

Hello fellow www.blogger.com members[url=http://thehottesttopicsfo.info/forum].[/url]

I just wanted to say that I am happy to be the newest member here and that I am glad to have the opputunity to take part in the great conversation here[url=http://sportsnewsal.info/forum].[/url]

Glad to be on board here[url=http://latestnewsor.info/forum].[/url][url=http://camotivationalquotes.info/].[/url]