March 29, 2008

Doing the Rounds

Neolithic braces or a dental bridge? On display in the AUB Archaeological Museum


I have a visitor from out of town, and so I am doing the rounds. It is an odd phenomena that when you visit a strange country, you visit all the places that locals never see. You’re never that active in your own country.

In Holland, for instance, I have never ever been to the Keukenhof, never climbed the highest church spire (in English and in Dutch) in the country, even though it was a mere 6 kilometers from my house, and only saw the Nightwatch once because we went there on a field trip with school, if I remember correctly. That is because in Holland I am a local, and I wouldn’t get a lot of visitors from outside that you’d have to show around.

Here however, I get lots of visitors, and you’ve got to schlep them around town. On top of that, I’m (initially) a stranger myself, so have probably seen more of this place than most Lebanese.

And so I am doing the rounds this week. I try to avoid the usual places (Baalbeck and Jeita, for instance), because I’ve seen those so often now that I can walk trough them with my eyes closed. I think must have seen Baalbeck a hundred times.
Now I try to go for the not so well-known places. And so, the National Museum of Beirut is one to avoid. But the AUB Archaeological Museum instead is well worth a visit.

They have, for instance, world’s very first braces on display. Pretty neat, no?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

WARNING: DO NOT CLICK AT FENRISAR.

IT WILL INFECT YOUR COMPUTER!!

Dimphy

Anonymous said...

Oops, I will be scanning my computer now.
S