September 20, 2007

We’re getting blasé.

The cell phone goes ‘bling bling, bling bling’.

A message.
But I am reading in bed, and the phone is on the other side of the room. Shall I get it?
Na, it’s probably an add. I don’t know how they do it, but it seems my phone number has surfaced somewhere on some SPAM list, and I get junk mail all the time. It couldn’t be important, otherwise they’d phone me.

I read on.
But the curiosity is getting the overhand.
And so I get out of bed, and get the phone.

I don’t recognize the number.
It reads; ‘We are saddened by the assassination of another member of parliament . . .’
I don't need to read the rest, I already know. I’ve gotten at least similar 8 messages the past two years.
So they blew up another guy.

I wonder who it is. It’s not in my neighborhood, because I would have heard the blast. Must have been in the east. Probably a christian.
The TV is upstairs. If I want to find out, I’d need to get out and go up.
Do I want to find out?
Na, it can wait till tomorrow.

It doesn’t really make any difference really who it is. We’re spiraling down anyways.

So schools will be closed tomorrow.
At least the kids will be happy.

We’re getting blasé.

6 comments:

Riemer Brouwer said...

Considering that the first SMS from LibanCall was send at 17:40, you must go to bed early these days;-)

Anonymous said...

Nee nee, ik kreeg de mijne om 21:30! Dat is nog net niet te vroeg!
Sietske

Anonymous said...

well also the network were "constipés" :)

seriously now it s true we are blasé but also disgusted ...

kiviorama said...

Hi Sietske,
I read your posts for quit some time now and I find it very interesting!
I was hoping that you might be able to introduce some city parts to me... of Beirut of course??
Let me know if this would be too much of hustle for you. No biggy if so!
Warm and positive regards!

Anonymous said...

Don't stay "blasé" toooooo long, you're sooo quiet since …………. It's still shocking some one is killed because of his/her standing for the country you learned to love through the internet and through you. We've been in Bierut till 3 weeks ago, mainly because of our interest and addiction to our friends in Lebanon/ Beirut and the children at the hospital at Hazmieh. We send you and your partner lots of streght to decide what about your kids and your future together.

adiamondinsunlight said...

Oh, Sietske - how ironic! I watched on TV for the first hour, starting just after the blast, and thought the whole time of the post you wrote after the Eido assassination. Remembering what you wrote then about the aftermath of an assassination made what I was seeing on TV much more intelligible, and me very grateful to you!