May 04, 2007

So What Are Your Plans This Summer?

The Winograd Report, an Israeli investigation into the summer war between Israel and Lebanon, or rather Israel and Hezbollah, concludes that Israel did not win this war. The war was a failure. Nasrallah subsequently concludes that it is sad that the recognition of victory must come from Israel. After all, if the Israelis did not win, than the other side must have, right? It is a fact of war however that all sides lose; some more than others. Maybe we should ask the Winograd commission to investigate our side of the affair.

Another report, this one coming out of the UN, seems to indicate (mind you, I haven’t read either one of the reports) that a war between Syria and Israel is imminent. So Hezbollah claims victory, and another war is on the horizon? And what are your plans this summer?

An animated TGIF crowd in a Beirut city bar this afternoon

Actually, there is so much talk on an upcoming war this summer these days that I have made my plans accordingly; I am going abroad, because I know there will not be a war this summer. Maybe in fall, maybe in winter, but not this summer, for the sole reason because everyone seems to expect a war this summer. And you know the law; what you expect in Lebanon is usually what you do not get. Expect the unexpected, they say, and so I bought a ticket to the outside world for the summer. I bet on a peaceful summer. Had I not, I would have made plans to stay in Beirut this summer.

It may sound strange that you would want to stick around if there is a war. But the trend seems to be the following; those that were in Lebanon last summer accepted anything, even shitty evacuation ships, in order to get outside, while those that were outside, tried frantically to get back inside. It happened that I was on the outside, and could not get back inside. I mean, I could get back inside, but I could not imagine dragging two kids and a trail of suitcases off-road through the Beqaa Valley along with me as well, so that plan was canned. Had I been here, I think I would have stayed though.

An animated TGIF crowd in a Beirut city bar this afternoon

And this is what we discussed on our TGIF this afternoon, while looking over the bay of Beirut, behind a bar of alcoholic beverages. What are your plans this summer?Will you stay, or will you go? Do you think there will be a war, or not?
What a conversation to have on a Friday afternoon, after work.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, I've been a fan of your blog for less than a year now. You give your views about issues, that are normal and taken forgranted by the Lebanese, who have grown up in this country and are used to it.