May 09, 2007

Mobile Phone Art

Because a friend of mine has been nagging that I do not post fast enough, here’s a post for her (Yes Hadile, you).

One of my favorites; A lady holding a baby (on the left) .
I'm in the picture too; art of art.

As not much is happening these days, both in my life and on the surface of this society (underneath it’s Tornado Alert), I went to the opening of Bassam Lahoud’s Mobile Art Exhibition. Bassam is an LAU (Lebanese American University) professor and photographer who got out his mobile phone (0.7 mega pixels, which is nothing) one day and started taking pictures of the people around him. Although the resolution is pathetic, the colors are nice, and the motion/movement is interesting. He calls it Mobile Art.

Mind you, he is not the first one to play with the idea; art with your mobile phone. Sites such as Flickr have entire photo pools on this type of art. He (Bassam Lahoud) however does put an interesting ‘spin on twisted’ as one visitor put it. Most images were purposely moved.
Beirut must have the highest density of mobile phones in the world, I feel. (And mobile phone etiquette is lost on people here.)

The exhibition in the Goethe Institute runs till the end of the month.

Art is there to inspire, I think he mentioned at some point. And inspired I was. Here's my mobile phone art, while walking back from the exhibition.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hallo =)
Ik keek even hier omdat Adriaan zei dat zijn haar er half af was, en misschien stond er hier een foto, en toen zag ik een link naar mijn pagina. Heeft mijn vader soms weer iets voor mij gemaakt? Nee, het is nienkes pagina =P Ik heb geen blog, veel te veel gedoe, maarja die link is dus naar Nienke, niet naat mij :P dat je het even weet
Groetjes, Maaike

Anonymous said...

nee, Adriaan zijn halve haar heb ik net per internet naar je gestuurd. Ik zal de link veranderen. Adriaan gaat naar zeilkamp in Friesland. Ga je mee?

Rampurple said...

Bassam Lahoud taught me and both my brothers photography at LAU. We all took several courses with him. He is a really nice guy and great teacher. Never thought he would get into mobile art.