February 17, 2007

Portraits

Anonymous lady - Abdel Nasser - Z (?) - Bashir Gemayel
I hadn't really noticed them, until I posted the picture of the lady. And then suddenly I saw these portaits all over Beirut. I know I've seen one of Hariri somewhere, but can't remember where. (If anyone knows, let me know, I want to add him to the collection) Nasrallah must have 'm too. That man is being commerzialized at a very rapid pace; I was just in a store when the owner tried to sell me a clock with his face (Nasrallah) on it. Now even if you do like the guy, I cannot imagine wanting to buy that clock. But in 40 years from now, it will sell as vintage kitch, I am sure. But I will add him to the collection if he's spray painted on a Beirut wall. Anyone?

3 comments:

Hamze said...

I agree about the commercialization part. I don't like it either, although I admire the man a lot.

gitanes legeres said...

imagine those pics on the same wall..

Anonymous said...

it looks a lot like Banksy, the anonymous English artist (check out www.banksy.co.uk or http://www.banksy.co.uk/outdoors/index.html), but he is being copied all over the world now so it might not be his own work. He has done some stuff in Palestine though, on the wall (the second link), and I have seen his(?) stuff in Beirut last year - a spraypaint of a little boy playing football with a bomb. Have you seen those?